Gluten Free Sugar Free Banana Cream Pie (so easy!)

This is not a traditional banana cream pie.  There is no custard or long period of stove cooking.  It's quick, light, and easy.  It has an amazing mouth feel.  Sometimes you just have to have bananas.  I know they are not low-carb, but I do believe they are nutritious and nice for a once in a while treat.

This pie has no sugar at all and is only made with stevia.  If you think you dislike stevia, I ask you to try it again.  It really is the best choice for sweeteners.  If you can handle a little corn (maltodextrin), NuNaturals is completely free of any bitter taste, although less sweet, so you'd need to use twice as much (1/2 teaspoon for 1/2 cup sugar).  Pies are the easiest desserts to make with stevia since they don't rise, like cake.  This pie is low sweetness.  You can increase the stevia from a 1/2 teaspoon to up to one teaspoon, and you could even add honey or erythritol to the cream cheese mixture, if you want to make it sweeter. I added the insides of a small vanilla bean once, too, and it was delish! (I still used the extract).

Here's a banana cream pie that you can give your children and feel good about... use ripe bananas- with little brown dots on the skin- they have a lot less starch, and they taste and digest better. Please comment and let me know what you think!  I love comments on this page, too!
A big thank you to all my readers, I am so glad you like my recipes and we can all journey into better health together!!!
Rachel


Gluten Free Sugar Free Banana Cream Pie (so easy!)

crust: chocolate pie crust link, regular pie crust link (I like chocolate, but you may not...) 

filling:
16 ounces (2 bricks) organic cream cheese (or even better, cultured raw cream cheese from a local farmer), softened
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract
3 - 4 ripe bananas: 2 mashed, the rest sliced
1/2- 1 teaspoon NuNaturals Stevia or start with 1/4 teaspoon of another brand and work up to taste

Make one of the pie crusts that I link to above.  When crust is cooled, place one layer of sliced bananas on the bottom.

In a medium sized bowl, whip cream to soft peaks.  Add stevia and vanilla, mix well,  and set aside in fridge.  In another bowl, whip cream cheese and mashed bananas.  Fold in the whipped cream mixture. Pour into cooled pie crust lined with banana slices and chill for about 30 minutes to an hour.  You can garnish with banana slices, chocolate curls or chocolate cookie crumbs.

Comments

  1. This is amazing as is.
    My friend Laura made it exactly as written.
    I changed it this way: made it a banana split pie. I used a Swerve/Stevia mix for sweetener, and coated the pie crust with melted extra dark chocolate mixed with a dab of coconut oil (set in fridge to harden). I put pineapple chunks and pomegranate arils on top. I couldn't stop eating it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts