Baby Led Weaning Swiss Chard Dairy-Free Custards

I used Rainbow Swiss Chard, hence the color...
I have been trying to dream up some recipes that I could put greens in and my 11-month old could feed himself with.  So I made these. YUM. You could sub any greens, I used Rainbow Swiss Chard because it's yummy and in season.  These were slightly sweet, perhaps because I used sweet onions.  If you are worried about feeding your child eggs, it is the cooked egg white which can cause allergies, so the yolk should be ok.  I use pastured fresh eggs, and the yolk is so delicious! It's also a cheaper way to eat humanely raised eggs, if you can buy straight from the farmer or a local person who just raises chickens!

Swiss Chard Dairy Free Custards

1 head organic greens
2 Tablespoons diced onions
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk, I like Native Forest brand because of their BPA-free can
coconut oil or pastured lard for sauteing
sea salt to taste
4 - 6 ramekins

Clean your greens well, making sure you get all the sediment out, especially if they are organic.  Remove all ribs and veins if they are also thick, like they were in my chard.  Tear into small pieces.
Heat your oil/lard in a saucepan and add onions, sauteing for a minute or two before adding the greens.  Saute them together until greens are well cooked.  Remove and cool.  Dice cooled greens (chop into small pieces).
Preheat oven to 300˚F.  Grease your ramekins with coconut oil/lard. Heat coconut milk in a saucepan until hot, or barely simmering.  Remove from heat and slowly whisk in egg yolks, one at a time.  Keep whisking until well blended.  Stir in greens (eyeball the amount, if it looks like you have too much greens for liquid, then don't add it all). Pour into cups evenly.  Place cups in a roasting pan or casserole dish and fill with water up to about a quarter of the way up the cups.  Bake 25 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool and scoop out spoonfuls to put on your little one's plate.

My little one loved them! They got gobbled up before I could get a pic! Next time I make some, I will post one!  ** update, pic posted.

Comments

  1. Great idea! I googled swiss chard for your baby and found your blog. We always have chard from our CSA, and I've been trying to figure out the best way to feed it to our wee one. I love custard anyways, both savory and sweet! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts