Blueberry Lemon Bars with Stevia

G-free Low Carb Blueberry Lemon Bars


More blueberry recipes!  I made these with Stevia only, so they contain no sugar alcohols (for those with corn allergies). And if you want to make them dairy free, just replace the butter in the crust with extra virgin coconut oil, or expeller-pressed coco oil for a non-coconut taste.  My fave is Tropical Traditions and no, they don't pay me to say that! Of course, if they'd like to, I'm all for it! I'd say it anyway! I think it's the best brand and I also think they are a great company.  I honestly don't trust any other expeller pressed coconut oil.
These are best served cold.

***TIP: Make zest from your lemon before you half it and juice it.  If you don't have a lemon zester, then use a cheese grater.

Blueberry Lemon Bars
Printable Page
8 generous servings at 6.1 effective carb count  (8.9 carbs - 2.8g fiber)
shortbread crust:

1 1/2 cups almond flour, I used Honeyville
1/8 teaspoon Stevia powder (NuNaturals preferred, or 1/4 teaspoon Sweetleaf)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6 Tablespoons organic butter, melted [or expeller-pressed coconut oil]
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

** another option is to sub Swerve. To do this: Sub for the sweetener 1/4 cup Swerve and also add to almond flour so that the total amount of almond flour is 1 2/3 cup. (One and two-thirds)

Edges of crust slightly browned
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mix all dry ingredients together in a small bowl using a fork.  When butter is not too hot- at least warm - you can add the almond extract and stir. Then add wet ingredients to dry. 

Press into a 9" pan and bake 10 - 15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. (Like this pic--->). Cool while you make the filling, but it doesn't need to be completely cool.

lemon filling:

4 eggs, organic, pastured preferred
1 teaspoon organic lemon zest, finely chopped if necessary
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon NuNaturals Stevia powder, or 1/2 teaspoon Sweetleaf (then more to taste)
1/2 cup almond flour, I used Honeyville
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup organic blueberries, washed and stems removed (raspberries would be a good sub in this recipe)

how blueberries should look on crust
Beat eggs until fluffy.  Add all the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries. Mix well. Set aside. Arrange blueberries over the crust as evenly as possible. (see pic--->)

Then give the lemon mix a good stir and pour over blueberries.  Bake (still at 350˚F) for 25- 30 minutes until set. 

What does set mean? It won't be jiggly when you shake it. Or you can give it a toothpick test by putting your toothpick in the center and making sure the toothpick comes out clean, with nothing sticking to it.  

The edges will be slightly brown.  Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes, then transfer to refrigerator for about an hour.

done: bars are set. Cooling.

Comments

  1. What's the carb count like on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I wrote it in. We made more like 12- 15 squares but I think 8 is a pretty fair amount of servings:
    at 8 generous servings, carb counts:
    6.1 effective carb count (8.9 carbs - 2.8g fiber)
    Thanks for reminding me to put it up! These were really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rachel, these look great. Just bookmarked them, I definitely want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look soooo good, Rachel! I'm going to link to these in a summer recipes post next week. As soon as I get my hands on my blueberries I'm trying your bars. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, this is a lovely recipe! I'm excited to see the stevia used as the sweetener! I'm staying away from corn derived anything these days and can't wait to try and recommend this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Misty! I just found out that NuNaturals Stevia contains corn so I recommend that you use Sweetleaf Brand instead. :) This is one of my favorite recipes ,I am glad you like it. Try the creme brulee too, it is also stevia sweetened and if you don't want to top with coconut sugar, you can top with a bit of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try this! Do you have the calorie count per bar for this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these. I would definitely increase the amount of sweetener in the filling - maybe double it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts