Stuffed Squash Blossoms



I get so excited each summer when I see squash blossoms on sale at the Farmer's Market!  Have you ever had them? A squash blossom is a flower that grows into a squash!  This is not my first post on lovely stuffed squash blossoms, but we made them differently this year and I thought they were worth posting again.
You can use any kind of soft cheese for this stuffing.  This recipe came from the farmer (his included flour) and originally called for ricotta, but my DH really wanted me to use cream cheese, so I did. Also it did not require a trip to the store (bonus!).  My DH said this appetizer was so darn good, it ruined dinner, because nothing could compare to it! Ha!
TIP: Last time I used millet flour for coating and frying and it turned out much better than the nut flour.  The nut flour clumped, and scraped off a bit in the pan. BUT if you must have it low carb and can't handle millet flour, it was delicious this way! Just scrape out any flour that falls off and put on top of your blossoms after they come out of the pan.  Remember that this dish is to be served immediately. So plan your meal accordingly.

This many squash blossoms as an appetizer feeds a lot.  I will admit that we ate them all though, just the two of us!
We also wrapped some in bacon!  Mmmmmm....



Stuffed Squash Blossoms
serves 4 - 6 as an appetizer

1/2 cup cream cheese (or ricotta, or goat...)
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
sea salt & black pepper, to taste (can start with 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon each)
1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
10 - 15 large squash blossoms, washed gently, turned upside down to get the water out.
high quality coconut or palm oil for frying
millet or nut flour (see note above), around 1/2 cup
a small egg
milk or cream, can be soured if raw

In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, garlic, salt & pepper, mushrooms, and parsley.  Open the blossoms and spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture into the center of each.  Avoid overfilling, you need to be able to close them.  Twist the top of each blossom together to close.  Set aside.
Prepare two bowls: One with flour plus salt and pepper to taste, and one with milk and beaten egg.  Dip each stuffed blossom into the milk batter, then the flour.
Pour oil into a skillet to the depth of 1/2 inch thick.  Heat over high heat until a little flour sprinkled in will turn brown within seconds.  You want it hot, but not smoking, be careful that it doesn't get too hot. Place stuffed blossoms into oil carefully, one by one - don't crowd the pan, you will have to do a few batches.  Cook until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes.  Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain briefly.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve while hot!

Comments

  1. I just tried your recipe! It was unbelievable! Nice job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive recipe. I was raised a traditional Italian and this recipe just became my new favorite…yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts