Lemon Coconut Energy Bombs

After making those yummy cocoa fat bombs, I thought I'd like to try one without chocolate - mainly because my 1 yr old was grabbing for them and I didn't want him having the caffeine - and then I thought I'd make one without nuts, for a friend who is allergic.  Basically these are made of two things: lemon and coconut.  My little one thought it was candy, he loved it!
If you have ever tried to take virgin coconut oil daily, for health benefits, you may find it gets hard to do, after a while, because of the texture.  So this is an alternative way of taking your virgin coconut oil.  I liked these, they were easy to eat and pretty tasty.  I recommend making them small and later increasing the size of them if you think you can eat 2 in a sitting.  I bought mini cupcake wrappers, which are awesome and also very inexpensive.
After making the fat bombs, I realized they gave me crazy energy, so I am eating these for energy now.  These don't have the truffle taste my fat bombs did, because they have more oil in them.  You could cut them with coconut milk if you wanted them to have a more candy feel, but I made these this way to get more of the virgin oil in my diet.

Lemon Coconut Energy Bombs
Makes 9 

1/4 cup coconut butter (see below for homemade recipe)
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, high quality
1 Tablespoon of organic lemon zest
1 Tablespoon of organic lemon juice
stevia powder or liquid to taste, I used 1/8 teaspoon NuNaturals powder
toasted coconut to garnish (see below)
mini cupcake wrappers or pan

Combine all ingredients except toasted coconut and mix well.  Scoop into cupcake wrappers.  Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.  Place in freezer for 20 minutes, then place in refrigerator.  Lasts a very long time.

How to make coconut butter: Grind unsweetened coconut flakes in a nut/coffee grinder or food processor for at least 20 minutes, or until the consistency of nut butter.  Or go here for pics/in depth.
How to make toasted coconut: Preheat oven to Broil.  On a cookie sheet, put a single layer of unsweetened coconut flakes and broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until brown.  Burns fast! Don't walk away!

Comments

  1. Omg these sound perfect.. I wish i had lemons at home! Have to get some on monday i guess.. Or shall i try with orange.. No that's probably not as good.. I LOVE your recipes! And thanks for answering my questions on FB too. I'll let you know how they turn out, they remind me of a fudge recipe. Have a great weekend, hugs from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made them, got me some organic lemons ;o). Poured the mixture in silicone chocolate candy molds, in the freezer now but the 'batter' already tastes sooooooooooooooo good. Love this idea! And the kids loved licking the spoon and bowl ;o). I used 5 drops of liquid vanilla stevia but had doubled the amount of both coconut oil and butter. Made 19 candies :o)

      Delete
  2. How about using pineapple in place of the lemon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could try pineapple... let us know how it works! Would be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could lemon extract be substituted for the lemon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The coconut butter didn't work out for me so I used almound butter. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made them without lemon or sweetener and another batch with 1 tbs organic sugar free cran/pom juice and no sweetener-both delicious! Thank you for recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts