Stevia Lemon-Lime Jell-O!

I've been wanting Jell-O, but didn't want the carbs or artificial sweetener.  So I thought I'd make my own low carb version.  This is a tart & sweet lemon-lime flavor that I use often to make lemonade.  This entire recipe is about 17 ECC (19 carbs without subtracting fiber) and probably serves about 6.  So that's about 2.8 ECC a serving, pretty good!  It's very refreshing.

Gelatin has been used since the time of ancient Eygpt, over 3000 years.  Pretty cool, huh?


Stevia Lemon-Lime Jell-O
6 servings, 2.83 ecc per serving

1 ounce unflavored gelatin (I used 4 packets/1 box of Knox)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed organic lime juice, chilled
1/2 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice, chilled
3 cups hot water
1 & 1/4 teaspoons NuNaturals powdered Stevia (or half as much of another brand- to taste)

Sprinkle gelatin over chilled lemon and lime juice in a bowl, let sit for one minute (you don't need to stir).  Add hot water and stir for a full 5 minutes, to make sure gelatin is completely dissolved.  Add stevia and stir well.  Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2" pan and refrigerate for 3 hours until firm.  Cut into cubes or serve!  Keep in fridge.


Comments

  1. Awesome, can't wait to try this! Love Jell-O but not the sugar or artificial sweetener.

    MaryJane's Farm website offers this stuff called Chill Over that is a mock jello type of thing but no animal product used. I've ordered it and can't wait to try it too. Plan on trying to use it to make freezer jam instead of surejel.

    PS-Love your blog,I learn so much from you!

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...am I crazy for wondering if some Paleo-enthusiast is going to see this and wonder if they can extract beef gelatin from beef bones and stock?

    This is a nice recipe! It looks perfect for summer. Just curious--what would happen if I froze it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, if someone knows how to get some pastured gelatin, I want to know how!
    I have no idea if it would be ok frozen- probably! I freeze a thick beef stock I get from the farm that is very gelatin-like and it still defrosts fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your blog while searching for low-carb recipes (after having heard about Gary Taubes & his book, Why We Get Fat) and I'm SO glad I did! I was dismayed at the thought of having to limit my carbs (especially the sweet ones) since I love them so much...and your recipes have given me hope. I look forward to seeing more of them in the future :)

    This looks delicious and refreshing, btw. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do the carbs come from? All the ingredients look zero carb to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent recipe! So simple. Thank you. Its in the fridge right now. i am so excited for it to solidify!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts