Ginger Apricot Scones

1 scone with cream cheese and butter, cut in half
Ok folks, I know I am scone crazy lately, posting all variations... but these are yummy and don't even make me want jelly.  Yes, I admit to a extreme pregnancy jelly craving which forces me to make extreme low-carb vehicles for one small teaspoon of jelly.  But this one has a little apricot within, so that's not necessary.  The spiciness of the ginger and cinnamon are really nice in this as well.

I'm not sure if any of you are middle of the night snackers..  I never was until pregnancy (hopefully will not be after) but one of these with grass-fed butter, organic cream cheese and a small glass of grass-fed raw milk is the perfect super-tasty protein punch to put me blissfully back to sleep. The scone with cream cheese and butter will be only 1.9 effective carbs.  Well, the milk will have it's own carbs, but I believe in raw milk, despite the carbs- good protein, good flora pro-biotic, and good fats.

As always, I recommend a high quality blanched almond flour like Honeyville's, otherwise it might not turn out. And of course... if you don't use NuNatural's Stevia Powder, you'll have to start with half of what you've got and taste test- although I don't recommend any other brand except Sweetleaf is ok.  Most stevia powders are bitter.

UPDATE: This recipe is featured in the book Low Carbing Among Friends

GFree LC Ginger Apricot Scones
makes 8 scones,at ~ 4.8 ECC each

2 1/2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
2 large pastured eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, very soft or melted (5 1/3 Tablespoons) or high quality coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals Stevia powder (or 1/8th of another brand)
1/4 cup Erythritol
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon ginger powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 unsulphured organic apricots, diced (mine came out to 7.6 ECC for 2)

Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large bowl, mix almond flour, stevia, erythritol, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.  In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy, then add the softened butter and beat until well mixed.  Add wet mixture to dry and mix well.  Add diced apricots and mix again.  Make sure you separate all the little pieces of apricot to spread them out.  Drop by heaping tablespoons on parchment paper, an inch or so apart.  Flatten the top a bit.  Bake for 25- 35 minutes until lightly browned.  Let cool on baking sheets for another 30 minutes.  Serve with butter and cream cheese! (1 Tablespoon of cream cheese = 0.4 ECC)

Comments

  1. This is a great recipe. Low carb, gluten free scones are not an easy thing to accomplish. May have to try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's fiance will love this recipe! This would be lovely with your favorite cup of tea!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts