Cinnamon Walnut Scones, GF, Low-Carb

Another gluten free low-carb scone recipe.. I'm addicted! A low-carb vehicle for a tiny bit of fruit preserves that I've been craving like mad, here in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy!  Of course, these are all based on Elana's scone recipe in The Almond Flour Cookbook which I highly suggest you buy!  I don't like to use much agave anymore so I convert her sugars.

I use organic grass-fed butter in this recipe (well, all, really), which I believe is the best choice if you can have dairy.  The CLA and beta-carotene alone is worth the use of grass-fed butter over regular butter (or any other type of oil).  CLA is the anti-cancer fat which fights cancer, infections, and builds lean muscle.  Also, of course, grass-fed butter is a source of healthy saturated fat.  I try not to use any poly-unsaturated oils in my diet... and especially anything high in Omega-6.  Our American diet is often way too high in Omega 6 and too low in Omega 3's.  The proper balance is 2:1 (Omega 3: Omega 6) but unfortunately the American Diet is often more like 1:20. Here's a good little tidbit about that from Dr Merkin that I agree with (although I'm not sure who he is, to be honest):

Eating too much omega-6 and too little omega-3 causes clots and constricts arteries to increase risk for heart attacks, increases swelling to worsen arthritis, and aggravates a skin disease called psoriasis. It may block a person's ability to respond to insulin, causing high insulin and blood sugar levels and obesity. It increases hormone levels of insulin like growth factor-1 that causes certain cancers. 

And here are some reasons to eat grass-fed butter from Tropical Traditions:

Butter is a traditional fat that has been consumed for thousands of years in cultures all over the world. When the anti-saturated fat campaign started in the US, many people stopped using butter and switched to margarines made from hydrogenated vegetable oils, high in trans-fatty acids. Trans-fatty acids are now banned in some European countries, and food manufactures in the U.S. must list all trans-fats used in their products as people seek to avoid them.
Butter is rich in short and medium chain fatty acids, including even small amounts of lauric acid. It is rich in antioxidants as well, in the form of beta carotene, vitamin E, and selenium. It is one of the best sources of vitamin A. Because living grass is richer in vitamins E, A, and beta-carotene than stored hay or standard dairy diets, butter from dairy cows grazing on fresh pasture is also richer in these important nutrients. The naturally golden color of grass-fed butter is a clear indication of its superior nutritional value. (Searles, SK et al, “Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and Carotene Contents of Alberta Butter.” Journal of Diary Science, 53(2) 150–154.)
By nature, cows are grazing (grass-eating) animals. 85–95% of dairy cows today are raised in confinement on a diet of grain, particularly corn, because it is far more cost-efficient for agribusiness. This grain-based diet can cause changes in the ph in cows, creating many abnormal physiological conditions in the cow which can increase the need for the use antibiotics. Many of these dairy cows are fed a variety of growth hormones to increase milk production. Most grocery store shelves offer the dairy products from these types of cows. Butter from grain-fed cows is very high in the omega-6 fatty acids, of which most people are consuming too much due to the high amounts of omega 6 vegetable oils and foods in the US diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in most conventional dairy products today are very low, and most people are dangerously deficient in them. Milk from grass-fed cows has a much higher content of omega-3 fatty acids.
 The CLA Advantage
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is a naturally occurring free fatty acid found mainly in meat and dairy products in small amounts. CLA was discovered by accident in 1978 by Michael W. Pariza at the University of Wisconsin while looking for mutagen formations in meat during cooking. The most abundant source of natural CLA is the meat and dairy products of grass-fed animals. Research conducted since 1999 shows that grazing animals have from 3–5 times more CLA than animals fattened on grain in a feedlot. Simply switching from grain-fed to grass-fed products can greatly increase your intake of CLA. (Dhiman, T. R., G. R. Anand, et al. (1999). “Conjugated linoleic acid content of milk from cows fed different diets.” J Dairy Sci 82(10): 2146–56.)



Anyway, these made my house smell wonderful and were thoroughly enjoyed by my gluten-eating bakery-working husband. Since there is a little less than 4g (effective) carbs per scone, there is room for a little preserves on top of your cream cheese!  I recommend Apricot preserves.  I buy the Whole Foods brand of fruit sweetened preserves, it is 2.6 g ECC per teaspoon.  So, one scone + 2 teaspoons cream cheese (0.26g ECC) + 1 teaspoon apricot sugar-free preserves (2.6g ECC) = 6.8 g ECC.  Here's the recipe.  Please post if you try it with any substitutions you like and remember I have that substitution tab up therethat you can always go to for subs.

I suggest an extremely high quality blanched almond flour like Honeyville, for these to turn out well.


Gluten Free Low Carb Cinnamon Walnut Scones
makes about 8, 3.975 ECC each scone

2 1/2 cups Honeyville Almond Flour
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, very soft or melted (5 1/3 Tablespoons) or high quality coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals Stevia powder (or 1/8th of another brand)
1/4 cup erythritol
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
parchment paper


Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large bowl, mix almond flour, stevia, erythritol, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy, then add the softened butter and beat until well mixed.  Add wet mixture to dry and mix well.  Add walnuts and mix again.  Drop by heaping tablespoons on parchment paper, an inch or so apart.  Flatten the top a bit.  Bake for 25- 35 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick entered comes out clean.  Let cool on baking sheets for another 30 minutes.
I suggest serving each one with 2 Tablespoons cream cheese and one teaspoon fruit sweetened preserves which makes 3.4g Effective Carb Count per scone (if your preserves are also 1 Tablespoon = 8g).

Comments

  1. I made this last night and it was great. I substituted 1 cup of all purpose GF flour mix (brown rice, white rice, sorghum) for the almond because it is much more expensive than the others. I also used an entire pkt of Sweetleaf Stevia instead of 1/4 tsp. I wanted the scones to be sweeter because I can not eat jelly or cream cheese as I am on the Candida Free diet. I added 1 cup of plain greek yogurt and used the required coconut oil. They cam out great. I was able to knead them lightly on a floured surface and cut into 8 triangular scones in the traditional manner. My husband who is not GF or SF loved them..although he used a little jam. Thanks alot for the recipe. I will be making another batch next week. I'll add a little orange zest and extract for a change.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts