Low Carb Vanilla Custard Ice Cream

Wellllll, I tried to make rum raisin several times but it was just a no-go. I suspect you either have to put up with the strong alcohol taste of rum, or use chemical laden rum extract.  Not for me!  But the good news is, I learned how to make a delicious custard ice cream.  One of the reasons mine is so good is that I buy fresh eggs from a local organic and pastured farm (meaning the chickens run around for real).  These yolks are dark orange and taste SO GOOD!!  This recipe is only for one pint, because I couldn't bear to part with 8 eggs for one recipe.  But you can double it, easy shmeasy.
 
What will you do with all those egg whites left over??  I found an excellent use for mine, and I encourage you to do the same!!  Go over to Random Teaspoon for Allie's Oeufs à la Neige au Chocolat...  mmmmmm!!!

**ICE CREAM TIP: After you make the ice cream, if you have the type of ice cream maker like I have where the ice cream bowl is frozen instead of using rock salt and ice, transfer the ice cream to a different container so it doesn't get too hard.

Please, my loyal readers, I know you are out there- leave me a comment!  You can also join me on Facebook and Twitter.


**Sugar subs: Instead of the xylitol and stevia mix I used, you can sub:
1/4 tsp of stevia powder (make sure you taste this during the thickening process for desired taste)
OR
1/2 cup xylitol  
OR
1/4 cup agave nectar/honey  
OR
1/8 tsp stevia + 1/4 cup agave nectar
OR
1/2 cup equivalent of sugar.
I still recommend the extra 1 teaspoon of agave with any sub that includes stevia.


Low Carb Vanilla Custard Ice Cream 

makes one pint. Recipe is easily doubled.
one pint = 4 servings at about 7 carbs each.

4 large organic egg yolks from pastured chickens
1/8 tsp stevia (I used NuNaturals)**
1/4 cup xylitol**
1 teaspoon agave nectar
 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups organic non-homogenized milk
3/4 cup organic non-homogenized fresh cream or heavy whipping cream
pinch sea salt 
optional: 1/4 cup toasted nuts or fresh cherries or anything you want to add!


In a large sized bowl, whisk together egg yolks, stevia, xylitol, agave, and salt.  Set aside.  In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk and cream to a boil over medium heat.  Gradually pour this mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking the entire time.  Whisk a little more, then return to saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, without letting it boil.  It should be thickened.  Strain custard into a bowl.  I poured it through a metal strainer.  Pour back into bowl and put into refrigerator to cool, around 2 hours. 
When cool, add the vanilla extract.  Transfer the custard to your ice cream maker according to your directions.  In the last few minutes, you can add any add-ins you desire- like nuts! Enjoy!  Freeze until hard for an hour and then place in a separate container so it doesn't get too hard and lose it's creaminess.

Post a comment and tell me if you liked it!!



Comments

Popular Posts