Low Carb Kheer Ricotta Pudding, Gluten Free

I have been craving an Indian rice pudding, called Kheer.  But, rice pudding has a lot of carbs!  So.. I made it this way. I used half as many raisins, and chopped them up.  You could use more - 1/4 cup if you don't mind the carbs. I estimate that 1/8th cup chopped golden raisins have about 16 net carbs. But I don't think you could eat too much of this pudding anyway!  I found some recipes that called for saffron, but I tried it in a small separate batch and I didn't care for it.  Grapes are definitely one of the "Dirty Dozen" 2010 pesticide watch, so use organic raisins.
I used Ricotta cheese, but I believe it might even have a better consistency with Cottage Cheese, if it comes in Whole Milk.
If you don't like Stevia, you can use 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sugar or sugar substitute of your choice.  I used NuNaturals so if you are using a different brand, start with the lower amount and work your way up. Also, my cardamom is not that fresh, so you will want to experiment there, too. You may need to use less.  Start with the lower amount and work your way up to preference.
Finally, this can be eaten on it's own, but it also tastes great with pears.  I don't have a picture but you can slice a pear from top to bottom, hollow out the seeds and place a dollop inside the middle and serve that way.

Low Carb Kheer Ricotta Pudding, Gluten Free

1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Cream
16 oz (1 lb) whole milk ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of good tasting stevia powder (I used 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals)
1 teaspoon agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey (optional)
3/4 - 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (depending on freshness/potency of your brand and taste)
1/8 - 1/4 cup organic golden raisins, chopped (1/8 cup = ~16 net carbs)
1/4 cup chopped pistachios or blanched almonds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch nutmeg

Blend cream, cheese, stevia, agave/honey, cardomom, sea salt, and nutmeg.  Stir in raisins and nuts.  Serve.
Or.. serve in halved ripe pears.

Comments

Popular Posts