Sunday, May 13, 2012

Coconut Flour Cheese Biscuits, gluten-free & low-carb

I adapted this recipe from my coconut flour BIBLE, The Coconut Flour Cookbook, by Bruce Fife.  Of course, I added a little Louisiana flavor kick!! ;)  And, I made mine with the leftover bacon grease from my delicious pastured organically raised bacon (naturally).  If you do this, I believe you should still add the salt this recipe calls for.
I made this to do along with a wonderful duck soup I made with homemade duck stock, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and swiss chard.
I hope you enjoy them!
*** update: for breakfast biscuits, you can omit the chili and cayenne peppers.



Coconut Flour Cheese Biscuits, gluten-free & low-carb 
makes 8 biscuits

4 eggs, organic & pastured is best!
1/4 cup of high quality coconut oil, butter, or pastured lard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup sifted coconut flour
3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used a raw cheddar

Blend together eggs, oil/butter, salt, and spices.  Combine coconut flour and baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps.  Fold in cheese. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet a few inches part- these spread.  Bake at 400˚F (205˚C) for 15 minutes.  As with all coconut flour recipes, you can store tightly covered on the counter for 1 -2 days, then transfer to the refrigerator.  In humid climates, it will get more moist the first day then quickly go towards moldy, so transfer earlier.  In dry climates, I hear it can get drier- in that case, maybe transfer to fridge earlier.  Please comment if you live in a dry climate what you do with coconut flour goodies!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    You mention baking powder in this recipe but not how much to use... would love to make these tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry!! I wrote it in: 1/4 teaspoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just featured you over on my Diner blog. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! I will be making these in the morning for breakfast! I have that cookbook, and I need to go dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made these for dinner tonight and they were great! About how many carbs per biscuit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! My recipe is similar, but I omit the chili and cayenne, add a shake of Old Bay seasoning. Oh , and to make them taste like Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits for real, brush some melted butter/ garlic powder mixture on the top as you bring them out of the oven. Even my hard core bread lovers like them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site soon.. easier to navigate, and re-writing old recipes with natural sugar options. For now, there is my sugar sub tab (at top).