Easy Collard Greens & Pork Stock

Stock.  It's so good for you.  I make many kinds of stock: chicken, pork, beef, lamb, seafood.  And, I sell some locally.  I just bought a beautiful pastured pig from a local farm, and my freezer is full of delicious and good for you pork! To make my pork stock, I use pork bones, some sea salt, black peppercorns, a bay leaf, green onions or onion chives if I have some on hand from my garden, and some odds and ends of vegetable scraps- like onion skins and tops, squash rinds, things like that.  I add filtered water and keep it below the boiling point, and I leave the fat on it.  So this is what I used to make these collard greens.  They were incredible.  If you don't have your own pork stock already made, you can simmer a pot of water and pork bone until reduced, and then proceed with the recipe.  If yours has very little fat, add some stable fat such as pastured lard, or coconut oil to the recipe.  After we ate the greens, we drank the broth.  It was spicy and delicious and so many health benefits!!!  My husband said he hated collard greens but dinner took way longer than expected, so out of desperate hunger, he tried some... then finished it off. He loved it!  THIS is the way to eat collard greens!

If you are still unsure why eating pastured meat is so much better for you than conventional, go here.



Easy Collard Greens, Southern Style
Feeds 4 a a side dish or 2 as a snack

3 cups homemade pork broth with fat
   OR
4 cups of water simmered with ham hock or pork bone until a golden color (reduced in half) and a few Tablespoons of stable fat added to it - pastured lard or coconut oil

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional.  This will make it spicy.
1 bunch of organic collard greens, rinsed well and torn into smaller pieces

Pour broth into a quart pot with red pepper flakes, and add greens on top. The greens will be much higher than the broth, that is ok.  Simmer, stirring frequently, until greens reduce enough so that they are in the broth.  Keep cooking until soft.  Take pieces out and cool to try frequently.  When done, drink the broth after or dip in some cheese biscuits! Yum!


Comments

Popular Posts