Community Cookbook: Want to help?



I just wanted to let you all know I am teaming up with Jamie from YourLighterSide.com and our goal is to create a shared community cookbook, like you used to see in the 50's/60's which contain favorite recipes! Would you like to submit your recipe?  We think it would be nice to include everyone in our little low carb/gluten free blog world here.  That way there would be so much diversity!  So what do you think?  What do you like to eat? What favorite recipe of yours always turns out and you love to share?  What yummy dish do you have over there that I have never tried?

If you don't know Jamie, you should! She writes yummy recipes, is always very funny, and is currently in the #1 position of Babble's Top 100 Food Mom Blogs of 2011.  If you haven't voted for her yet, please do, here! I'm also on there, um, much lower (#795?  Please vote for my self esteem here).

Here is the gist (from Jamie):

1. Send your original recipe(s) to yourlighterside@gmail.com by April 1. (Optional: if you want to send photos of completed dishes and they’re included, we’ll definitely credit you).

2. Don’t worry about nutritional information; we’ll run the numbers.

3. Please include your name, city, and website with recipes in your email; this information will be published with each, original recipe that appears in the book. Shy? No worries. You can use Mrs. Daniels or Mr. Smith. No I.P Freely or Iona Condom. Yes, that means you. And me. I’d do that kind of thing.

4. Please no: gluten, rice, corn or sugar as ingredients. We want to keep things as low glycemic as possible for low carbers and diabetics.

5. Please no funky ingredients no one can find or afford (specialized products, sold by distributors, etc.). It’s best to have mostly locally bought ingredients (with a few from amazon or other reputable online sellers when absolutely necessary). If you use low carb catsup, awesome. If you use a truffles-based sauce harvested at their peak from a South American rainforest by the limpopo monkey and sold only by a distributor, notsomuch. These recipes should stand the test of time, whether or not companies continue to exist.

6. There are some standard recipes out there, like mashed cauliflower. Do you have an inventive twist on an old standby? Those are great!

7. We’re looking for everything: appetizers, breakfasts, drinks, main dishes, side dishes, soups, crock pot, desserts of all kinds. We also love tips and tricks from your kitchen, especially for newer cooks.
Books will be released in print form (and likely electronic) this year, up to my ridiculously, ridiculously high standards (trust me; they’re high). I am working to keep costs low, so I’m not yet sure how many images will be included in the book at this point. There will be nutritional information for each recipe. I’ll keep you posted on the progress, naturally.

Comments? Questions? Want to shoot us your favorite family recipe(s)? Please email Jamie at yourlighterside@gmail.com.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts