Chuck Roast, slow-cooked, grass-fed, low-carb & gluten-free!


Chuck Roast, slow-cooked, grass-fed, low-carb & gluten-free!  What more could you ask for? Oh, don't worry, it's also easy.  Recently, we bought a 1/4 of a cow from a local grass-fed farm.  It filled our freezer promisingly... but we made quick work of it.  Some of the cuts I had no idea what to do with.  The Chuck Roast was one of them.  Cooking grass-fed beef is a bit more of a challenge since grass-fed beef is leaner than the corn-fed beef that we Americans are used to.  So, when you look for a recipe for grass-fed meat, you do have to keep that in mind.  Slow cooking grass-fed beef is the best option, because it can get tough with all that lack of fat.  This recipe makes almost a soup. You can strain the meat and veggies out of it with a slatted spoon and serve with just a little broth on top, or serve it like a soup.

This recipe is based on this one on myrecipes.com, but with my own low-carb and delicious additions.  I hope you enjoy it!  It's fairly simple, the only time you'll really spend is cutting veggies.  I managed to get this done with a sick baby and husband.

A few notes:  If you don't have beef broth, but you have a beef bone, you can put a cup and a half of water and your bone in the slow cooker and turn it on high while you do the chopping, etc.  Then, turn it down and just leave it in there a while longer after you throw everything else in.  If you buy your beef broth, check and make sure it is gluten free!!

If you are just appalled by my use of carrots- I only use two! You can leave them out.  I figured it was still pretty low-carb with only 2... it adds 4 net carbs to the whole pot.

Start this VERY early for dinner or just start it any time and eat it tomorrow - that's usually what happens at my house!  Safer that way, sometimes it does take more than 12 hours.  I usually start a slow cooking recipe Saturday afternoon and eat it for Sunday lunch or dinner.

PS I have no idea what size my chuck roast was, please forgive me.  It was BIG! So don't worry if your roast is a little bigger or smaller.

Chuck Roast, slow-cooked, grass-fed, low-carb & gluten-free! 
makes 4 - 6 servings 

 1 (3 - 4 lb) chuck roast, grass-fed is best!
sea salt & fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, palm oil, or lard (for high heat)
1 - 2 large carrots, thickly chopped (optional)
1 cup of gluten-free beef broth or 1.5 cups water and a beef bone

1/2 cup red wine
14.5 oz can of organic diced tomatoes (or half of the big can)- Muir Glen Organic is best, they do not use BPA in the can lining. 
1 cup chopped celery
2 large garlic cloves or 4 small, sliced thin-ish
8 ounces pearl onions, peeled or 1 large onion, chopped
8 ounces button or small mushrooms, cleaned and sliced in 1/2 or 1/3rds, depending on size
1 handful of broccoli florets (I used the head of one large stalk)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

If you are using water + beef bone, put that in your cooker on high right now.

Wash and pat dry your roast.  Determine if it fits in your slow cooker.  If not, cut it in half.  In a small dish, mix salt and pepper - start with about 2 teaspoons of each if you are not sure how much to use.  Rub the roast(s) all over with the mixture.

In a large cast iron skillet, melt and heat the oil.  Make sure there is enough oil to cover entire skillet.  When it is hot, but not smoking, add roast(s) and turn heat up.  Brown each side, including the sides, not just top and bottom.  How?  Let sit a few minutes, then turn with tongs or spatula(s).

If you are not already making stock with a bone in that cooker, pour your pre-made broth in.  Add wine and tomatoes.  Place your roast(s) in - side by side if 2 - and then add everything but the broccoli and mushrooms.

Cook on low, until the meat is tender.  I had to cook mine for 14 hours, but most likely yours will be done in 12. Add mushrooms and broccoli at about 10-12 hours in, so they won't cook down to nothing.  When meat is tender, shred the meat by taking it out and shredding it with 2 forks.  Add back to the pot, and serve.

Two ways to serve: You can take all the meat and vegetables out with a slotted spoon, then pour just a little of the broth on top like a thin gravy OR serve like a soup.  The broth mixture is divine.







salt- celery 
 

Comments

  1. This recipe is out-of-this world! Oh my, so very, very good. Thank you for posting! I plan to look for more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts