Healthy Chocolate Pudding!


We have a lot of fresh raw milk in the house, so I thought I'd try and make a homemade chocolate pudding. Now let's be clear - I hate the pudding mix stuff, ew. Always have. But my favorite chef, Carole Olkoski makes the BEST homemade chocolate pudding pie, and has left me with a new love and a craving. So, to make it lower carb and low G.I., I am relying on my favorite substitutes... stevia, xylitol, and a touch of agave nectar. If you are a Celiac, just make sure your cornstarch and vanilla extract, and all of your ingredients, are gluten free.
For six servings, it's about 14 carbs per serving... so you know... maybe this isn't the best example of my low carb finesse with desserts. Apparently, Whole Milk has a lot more carbs than I thought! (Yes, Carole, now I remember you telling me that!) So I guess this isn't the lowest low carb recipe.. But since most of the carbs come from my grass fed organic non-homogenized milk, I feel pretty good about it. (Follow the links to learn more about CLA and other good reasons to buy raw milk from grass fed cows!)
I use Lindt 85% chocolate because it is delicious and actually has LESS carbs than the Ghiradelli sugar free chocolate (Lindt: 8 carbs per ounce, Ghiradelli: 8.75 carbs per ounce). So I suppose it doesn't have much sugar in it. Or it's worth it anyway. I got this tip from Lauren!
Perhaps I can re-work this recipe and use cream, or half and half... that would reduce the carbs. But, would it still be pudding? Hmmm.
This is a very chocolate-y pudding that is not that sweet. Just perfect, I think. Even Hubby finished his in record time.

Homemade Chocolate Pudding

1 3.5 oz bar of Lindt 85% Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
2 egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon stevia
1 teaspoon agave nectar
2 TBLS (Tablespoons) of Xylitol
2 cups organic whole milk
3 TBLS cornstarch
1 TBLS + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks, stevia, vanilla, and agave nectar together in a small bowl until well mixed. Be careful that the stevia is well mixed and not clumpy.

Stir ½ cup of the milk together with the cornstarch and set aside. Pour the remaining 1 ½ cups of the milk into a saucepan. Add the chocolate pieces to the pan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Pour the cornstarch-milk mixture into the pan, and simmer over medium heat, stirring until the mixture thickens... will happen fast! Remove from heat, and add the egg yolk mixture, quickly mixing well. Pour into 6 small cups, cover and chill in refrigerator for a few hours.







Comments

Popular Posts