Working with Stevia


I often use stevia in my recipes. Why? Because it has no carbs or glycemic index (GI), you use so little to get a sweet taste, and it's actually good for your teeth and stomach. Perhaps you've used it before and your experience was bad- bitter, or terrible licorice aftertaste. I had that problem for a while, but now I have figured it out. First of all, the BRAND is so important. I use Sweetleaf Stevia Extract Powder, and I use it very sparingly. One problem I had before when I first tried it was that I was using too much. 1/4 of a teaspoon of stevia extract powder is equal to 1/2 cup of sugar. It's important to not use too much, or you will definitely get that aftertaste problem. I've had a great deal of success since I have gotten used to using it in just the right amounts.

***2010 UPDATE: I now use NuNaturals Brand which I think is even better! NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract, 1 Ounce (Pack of 2)

Another great help is using these tiny measuring spoons... with 1/8, 1/16, etc of a teaspoon. This makes my life easier. If you plan on using stevia in your recipes, I highly recommend finding some.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the info. Bucky is using it tonight for his sweet tea :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might take him a little time to get used to it- tell him the first few times he might want to mix it with agave, or honey and then go down to just stevia. It can have a licorice taste, which is not bad in drinks but is why I usually mix it with other sweeteners. It might be too extreme for him to go from sugar to stevia! But let me know... it's great with lemonade!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts