Spicy Roasted Beet Soup


I have so many gorgeous organic beets from the farm... I looked them up on the carb count and it wasn't as bad as I thought! So I made this lovely soup. It is quite spicy if you use the full amount of cayenne and ginger. I used mainly golden beets so mine came out a pretty light pink.

1 ½ cups of beets are about 14 grams of carbs after subtracting the fiber… so a small bowl of this soup will not be a large amount of carbs at all. After all, the carbs are mixed with healthy fats… and you should know that beets are very very good for you! So no worries.

Also this was a great way for me to use my soured raw cream. I bought this lovely fresh raw milk and cream from a local farmer but was not able to consume it all before it went sour. Unlike pasteurized milk, when fresh milk sours, it is very good for you! It is full of beneficial bacteria, like yogurt. You can cook with it just the same as any milk or cream.

Spicy Roasted Beet Soup

olive oil, or coconut oil
6 or 7 small beets, or 3 large ones (I used gold and red beets)
1 small onion, diced
½ teaspoon white pepper
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ginger
dash - 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, opt.
3 cups organic chicken stock
bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried or a sprig of fresh thyme, or lemon thyme
sea salt
soured raw cream, or sour cream


Wash beets, then wrap each one in foil and bake in oven at 375 degrees for one hour or until fork tender. Cool completely, then peel and chop into ½ inch or less size cubes. Mine came out to 1 ½ cups, but more is ok too.

Heat some olive or coconut oil in the bottom of a sturdy pot for a minute, then add onions and saute until translucent. Add the beets, white pepper, cayenne, and ginger and stir for about 10 more minutes until beets look slightly browned.

Add chicken stock, bay leaf and thyme leaves or dried. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf and cool enough so that it won’t burn you if splashes. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Please hold the top on the blender when doing this just in case. I don't want you to dye your kitchen walls pink or burn yourself!

Heat pureed soup up again when time to eat and salt to taste. Serve with a dollop of soured cream in each bowl.

Comments

  1. Made it. Tried it. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, thanks! It's a good time of year for it, I may make it again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts