Coconut Palm Sugar


This looks very interesting. Coconut Palm Sugar is made from the sap and nectar of coconut palm trees. It's a very sustainable sweetener, as palm trees use one-fifth of the water and nutrients that cane sugar does and can grow in dry climates. It has a G.I. of 35, which is pretty low, though not really stunning- around (or a few points more) the same as agave nectar. I bought it from Emerald Forest, where I buy my erythritol and xylitol. I thought I'd try it out and tell you what it's like. It is advertised to be the same as brown sugar, as it has a caramelized flavor and it tastes nothing like coconuts. I'm hoping if it's too much G.I. for me, I can at least convince my husband to use it in place of brown sugar in his baking. I'll let you know...
Has anyone else ever tried this? And if so, please comment, I'd love to know what you think! I think I might try it in a cookie recipe that I'm unable to use erythritol in (my test cookies tasted too cold-minty, when I used erythritol).

Here are the G.I. counts again:

Sugar 60 - 65

Pure Maple syrup 54

Honey 58

Coconut Palm Sugar 35

Agave Nectar 27- 46 or higher, depending on the brand!

Erythritol 0

Stevia 0


Bookmark and Share

Comments

Popular Posts