Gluten Free Low Carb Peanut Butter n Jelly Muffins!!



I love Almond Flour for crusts - pies, quiches, and pizzas. I also like it for scones and cookies.  But for muffins and cupcakes, I am sticking to coconut flour. It's lower carb (well, you use less flour) and I find it to be fluffier. Plus it's a LOT cheaper (let's hear an AMEN to that!) - especially since one 16 ounce $8 bag will last so long. My almond flour is about $30 for 5 LBS.

Now. I did not fold in the egg whites separately for this, because the peanut butter is so sticky, it didn't seem to make a difference. I think you'll get a half muffin extra if you want to try... but I achieved basically the same result by just beating the eggs one at a time - in this recipe at least.

This recipe is just an adaptation of Bruce Fife's peanut bitter muffins in the book Cooking With Coconut Flour, which you must buy immediately.  Seriously.  Also, his wife has a wonderful blog & Facebook page.  This can also be made GFCF/dairy free.

Gluten Free Low Carb Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
based on a PB muffin recipe by Bruce Fife in Cooking With Coconut Flour

Muffins:
3 eggs
1 TBSP coconut oil or butter, melted
5 TBSP erythritol or sugar sub
1 TBLS  honey (optional)
1/4 cup natural organic peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Filling:
2 TBSP all natural organic peanut butter
2 TBSP sugar free strawberry preserves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a muffin tin for 6 muffins. Too much oil in the tins will cause these muffins to brown too much on the outside.

In a medium sized bowl, blend the eggs, one at a time. Add melted butter/oil, erythritol, honey, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla. Combine coconut flour and baking powder in a sifter, and sift into batter, stirring in well.

Pour into muffin tin, enough to make 6 muffins. Bake for 10 minutes, watching carefully. You may need to cook a little longer but be careful of it browning too much on the outside. Cool in muffin tin. When cool, run a butter knife carefully around the edges and then use a spoon like a spatula to get them out. You can put the spoon in right under the edge and twist it around the edges of the muffins too, this helps get them out in one piece also... sort of twists them out.


Mix the peanut butter and jelly in the filling together with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.

Cut out a little hole in the middle and top of your muffins (sorry this pic didn't turn out that well). Cut at an angle so that the piece you are cutting out doesn't go farther than halfway down the muffin... you don't want to go to the bottom or it will leak out filling and get messy. Try for a third deep. With a teaspoon, put in a little bit of the filling inside the hole, spreading around to the edges- you want to just put a little in there- don't fill up the hole even halfway - just a little taste. Replace the chunk of muffin you cut out (hmm.. need some technical terms!) and there ya go! A taste of PB&J gluten free! Hurrah!!! These are great with Organic Raw Milk! (If you can have milk, otherwise... Almond Milk!)

Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. @&$#%*@*... sorry, I'm so excited about these that I had to resort to faux cursing! I'm thinking "Kids' Lunches" and breakfast on the go.

    I think the addition of peanut flour (I buy big bags from Byrd Mill) would also add a big peanut flavor kick with low calories/higher protein. It's a secret ingredient that I add too all kinds of things: asian sauces, protein shakes, and apparently, now muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, good idea!!! I just got some hazelnut flour yesterday and am looking forward to trying it out.
    I know, it's so nice to have the taste of PB&J again. How I've missed it!!!
    Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts