Spring Salad



It's Spring! Well, in most of the country. In NY, it's just been raining. And I am still using the heat! But today I see a little sun peeking through the clouds, so I am celebrating with a beautiful salad.
I think I have cracked the code when it comes to making the perfect salad, and my friends always ask me to bring one when there's a potluck. The secret? Something crunchy, something creamy, and something sweet. Crunchy: nuts. Creamy: avocado or a creamy cheese. Sweet? Could be tomatoes, or sliced berries. I don't eat much fruit, but even when I was just starting the low-carb diet, I always ate a small amount of raspberries or blueberries, and I still lost a lot of weight. Now that I am just maintaining my weight, I eat a little bit of fruit here or there, as long as it's with protein.

So here is my salad today: Organic mix greens, organic baby tomatoes, avocado, strawberries, chopped almonds, and... okay I admit it... about 4 of those little tiny rice crackers from Trader Joe's crushed up like croutons (can't be many carbs in that!!).
Here is one of my many salad dressing versions. I use a little sweetness to balance out the vinegar. And, yes, raw apple cider is both good for you, and gluten free!



Rachel’s Salad Dressing
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup of raw apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt

½ tsp. black pepper

1 tsp dijon mustard

1/2 tsp honey, or sugar substitute equal to 1 tsp sugar
1 fat clove of garlic

Smash garlic into salt with a pestle and mortar until it makes a paste (you may use a tablespoon and cup if you don’t have a mortar & pestle). Add mustard and mix well. Add rest of ingredients in a glass jar, replace lid, and shake vigorously. Store in glass jar in refrigerator.

And, no I didn't compute the carbs in this dish. Why not? Well there are just a few in the 4 rice crackers and 1 1/2 strawberry... maybe the tomato.. but you don't have to live your life counting carbs if you know exactly what went into your food. And what went into this salad was all whole foods... (except maybe the rice crackers, but I can live with myself there!). No reason to make yourself obsessed counting everything if you use all ingredients you can live with! Have a happy salad day!!

Comments

Popular Posts