Apple Cobbler - Waste Not Want Not

Hi to all of my friends out there... I am trying to get back to blogging! I have several posts to put up. Here is hoping I find the time to do it.  As you might be able to tell, this is just a hobby for me. (Notice my way-less-than-professional pics! LOL).
You may have noticed that my posts went from low carb to more of a paleo-with-dairy-and legumes style.  I just don't want to consume sugar alcohols anymore.  You can continue to sub it in my recipes.. that is all I ever really changed.  You will still see almond, coconut, and other high protein flour mixtures, easy recipes, and stevia.  But you will also see more usage of honey and coconut sugar. I will leave my old recipes as is though, and you may sub sugar alcohols for coconut sugar or honey.  See my substitution page.  This decision is what has kept me from blogging.  I hate to change my moniker.  So, I hope some of you will roll with the flow.  Thank you all who have stuck with me through this long year of hardly blogging! I plan some changes for the site as soon as I can manage it... to make it better looking and easier to manage.



Finished, with a bite taken out


NO WASTE: Inspired by a video about how we waste so much apple by cutting around the core, I sliced these apples from bottom to top, after peeling them.  Then, I took out seeds and stem, and cut out any other debris.  I left the star core in the slices and you couldn't tell when it was cooked. Then, I sliced each slice in four, approximately. You can see from the pictures how little was wasted! Since I only had 3 apples that got a little soft, I had little to work with. It came out to 4 cups! 

One apple sliced from the bottom up
This is all the waste from 3 peeled apples

NOTES: This apple crumble is based on this lovely recipe from Everyday Paleo. I have used so many versions of it and I am positively in love with it.  I prefer a little anise with plums or apple... a little ginger with peaches... just plain cinnamon with berries.  This recipe is my new fruit cobbler topping, and my favorite recipe lately. I used only 4 cups of apples so I used a deep small dish and had lots of topping.  This topping stretches well- thin for a bigger cobbler, thick for a smaller one. This cobbler is hard to mess up.  You can leave out most of the ingredients, add some, etc and it always seems to work. That's why there are a lot of "optional"s and notes written in.

TIP: If the words "to taste" frustrate you because you are not sure how much to use... here is a tip. Eyeball it- if you were going to eat that apple slice, how much honey or stevia or cinnamon would be enough on it? Now do that for all the apples... look at each one or group and add as much of the ingredient would taste right... the proportion. If that doesn't work for you, then try a little, mix, taste, and try again until you think it tastes right.

APPLE COBBLER

3-6 apples, peeled--> this recipe will stretch if you have more apples.  I had 3 apples = 4 cups
cinnamon to taste, about 2 tablespoons 
Anise or ginger, to taste - I used Penzey's 5 spice Chinese Powder but it only contains cinnamon, anise & ginger.
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 Tablespoons organic grass-fed butter or expeller pressed coconut oil, melted
1 farm or pastured egg- any size egg will work. I usually use a small one.
1/2 cup chopped nuts, I used pecans
1/3 cup coconut sugar, or sub 1/3 cup sugar sub
NuNaturals Stevia, to taste, optional
1/3 cup gluten free oats, optional- You can sub more nuts
1/2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract, optional
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
small but deep cobbler dish, or wide but shallow
a medium sized bowl

Peel, then slice apples from bottom to top about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out any debris like seeds and stems. Then slice each round in fours. You can stack them and cut them, to save time.
Pour apples in dish, drizzle with honey, stevia, and cinnamon to taste.  I used about 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals stevia, 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, 1-1/2 tablespoons honey for a sweeter cobbler.  Stir together.
In a medium sized bowl, mix almond flour, melted butter or coconut oil, egg, nuts, coconut sugar, oats, sea salt, and vanilla. Add cinnamon and chinese five spice powder or ginger to taste (2:1 ratio of cinnamon:ginger/5 spice).  Mix well, then use your hands to combine it all together in a dough. Now, if using a small deep dish, you can cover it with the dough as if it were a big cookie.  If it is a wider dish, crumble the topping with your fingers over the apples so it will stretch.  It is ok if there is a little space between crumbles. Bake in pre-heated 350˚F oven for about 35 minutes or until apples are bubbly and soft and topping is browned on edges.





Comments

Popular Posts