Twice Baked Parmesan Crackers




I love to make these crackers.  It took me forever to post it because sometimes they just wouldn't crisp right and I just couldn't figure out the cause.  The humidity, maybe?  Then I discovered if you bake them twice, they are even better.  We tried the ones Whole Foods makes and they are delicious but cost $22 a pound!  So I made my own, and I like them better.  These are so easy to make and my toddler looooves them (no goldfish for him!!).  I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please post if you do!

Use real cheese, not the kind of parmesan that comes in a shaker ;)

Twice Baked Parmesan Crackers

shredded parmesan
grated parmesan
parchment paper
baking sheet

Preheat oven to 300˚F.  On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread out enough shredded parmesan to cover the sheet but in a lacey pattern.  You want "holes" (like the pattern of lace), so that it is not too thick.  Then, fill in the "holes" with grated parmesan, and sprinkle a little all over.  Bake for 20- 40 minutes (depending on how thick you made it) or until it is golden brown all over the top.  Take out and let cool to room temperature, on the baking sheet.  When cool, test to see if you can break off a piece, near the middle: does it come off crisp, or is it bendable?  If you are lucky, sometimes one time baking is enough.  Otherwise, if it is a little bendy, bake again, at 300˚F for about 20 minutes until crispy.  Let cool, break off in pieces, and store in an airtight container.  If they get soft, re-toast to crisp them up again.



Comments

  1. Oh yeah, baby! Making these suckers SOON! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am giving these a try tonight! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm mine turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved parmesan crackers the few times I've had them out at restaurants. Now I know how to make my own! Awesome, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if you can leave them out of the fridge because the cheese states to refrigerate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, store in an airtight container out of the fridge. Now that it is cooked, it can stay that way a few days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts