Gluten Free Lower Carb Vanilla One Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting



This is a little cake I made yesterday for my honey and our 7 year anniversary.  I made the cake low-carb and used lower g.i. coconut sugar for a real tasting frosting.  You can grind the sugar in the coffee grinder.  I didn't clean it out perfectly first- a little mocha flavor was a plus!  So - yes, this is a quick and dirty cake.  You can use coconut sugar in place of the erythritol as well- or even do half and half.  I've done all versions of this vanilla cake myself.  You could use erythritol for the icing and grind it the same way but I think it will taste weirdly cool, so it's your call. 
I used an 8 inch heart shaped pan- didn't get a pic of the whole cake but I think you could use any shaped pan sized 7" - 9".  Also, you can make this dairy free.  I used a high quality expeller pressed coconut oil for the frosting since I ran out of butter, and it was fantastic.  Why do I use expeller pressed? Because it has no coconut taste so it doesn't change your recipe.  Also, it's a bit cheaper than the virgin coconut oil. I buy mine from Tropical Traditions, where they use the old fashioned method for extracting the oil.  No chemicals. If you don't yet know the benefits of coconut oils, please go google-crazy on that topic and educate yourself.  It's the only oil I use besides grass-fed butter and lard from pastured animals.
I put effective carb counts for 10 servings, but we really got a lot more than that out of this cake.

Side note: I found that Icelandic brand Smjör butter is entirely grass-fed and a little cheaper than Kerrygold. Go get you some! Score!

TIP: Coconut cakes are more moist the second day and must be kept in the refrigerator or they will get so moist, they will mildew.

GF Low Carb Vanilla Cake, one-layer
18.9 ECC entire cake made with erythritol & milk, 1.9 carbs for 1/10 slice, 8.9 ECC with frosting (coco sugar)

6 TBLS Butter, melted and slightly cooled or or High Quality Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil, semi melted or melted
6 eggs, separated
2 TBLS whole milk, half and half or coconut milk
½ cup erythritol or 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or mix of two
½ teaspoon NuNaturals stevia or  ¼ teaspoon of another brand
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
sifter
parchment paper

Line your 7"- 9" cake pan (if it is not silicone) with oiled or buttered parchment paper (oil both sides).  You can use a pen to mark where it touches the sides then cut it out to make it fit perfectly.   Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C).
Whip egg whites in a clean and dry bowl until soft peaks form, set aside.  In a separate bowl, whip butter or oil.  Then add the egg yolks, milk, erythritol or coco sugar, stevia, salt, and vanilla and blend.  
In a [gf] flour sifter, combine coconut flour and baking soda and sift into ingredients. Mix well to ensure no lumps. Beat in a 1/3rd of egg whites to soften the batter, then fold in rest.  Pour batter into prepared pan and  bake for 12 - 25 minutes, depending on the size of your pan, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

Chocolate Frosting with coconut sugar
makes enough to cover this cake. carbs with half & half =  7 g carbs per slice (1/10 cake) but lower g.i. than sugar.
 
3 Tablespoons [grass-fed] butter, or expeller pressed coconut oil, soft
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk, half and half or coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
coffee grinder or nut grinder

Wipe out inside of grinder (a little coffee will taste good in the frosting, if you wish).  Pour 1/3 cup coco sugar and grind until powdered consistency.  Set aside.
Whip butter or oil until fluffy (if you are using the oil, you can harden it in the fridge a little before whipping).  Add rest of ingredients including powdered sugar and blend well.  Add more milk if it's too thick.  Spread on cooled cake. Store cake in refrigerator.

Comments

  1. This looks great! Where do you get your coconut sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually buy Big Tree brand at Whole Foods.

    Here's Big Tree on Amazon: http://amzn.to/sVoxHw

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI- for all the good health effects, you should use unrefined coconut oil.

    This looks great, wish I could find a recipe with no eggs. We do GFCF, no eggs, yeast, oats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could help with the no egg thing- I know my recipes call for a lot of eggs! I use virgin coconut oil often, but save the money when I am heating a recipe in the oven by buying steam-expeller pressed coconut oil, still very high quality but no coconut taste and great for high heat in the oven, or even frying. It has most of the same great health benefits as long as you buy an oil that has a solvent free method of pressing the oil, like steam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made the cake, it was lovely. Did get a bit dry the day after so that's why i made up some cocnut butter/maple frosting: Melted coco butter (concentrate) mixed with some maple, cinnamon (because that makes everything good), vanilla (powdered) and a little coconut milk or water to thin it out. Put liberally on top of cake and place in the fridge for 20 minutes (if you want the hard glaze version, otherwise probably have to keep at room temp, depending on where you live) Don't know why it says I have to post anonymous but otherwise it won't register??? Weird.. Anyway, thanks for great recipe, it will be my daughters 1 year birthday cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please let me know how you changed a recipe, and how it came out. I don't do nutritional information anymore, sorry! I just provide the *free* recipes. I try to reply to comments but don't have much time these days. I hope to revamp this site eventually.... but for now I am still a working Mom and this is my hobby.
*If you would like to post the carb counts by using an online carb calculator, please go ahead* I don't provide them anymore, it's a miracle if I even get a post up these days! Thanks!

Popular Posts