Gluten Free Apple Crisp


This is a YUMMY version of apple crisp that I made for a party. I am going to give you two choices with both the filling and the topping. One is lowish carb, if you are, say, bringing this to a party or Diabetic. And the other is if you really want to keep your carb count very low (Version 2). Sorry, I did not add up the carb counts but it should be easy to do (please post!)... I am very low on time lately! The second version of topping is just to use coconut instead of oats. I did a mix for myself - the lowest carb filling but I used oats on top, and it was gooooood. :)
By the way, I did not use any kind of cooking apples for this. We had too many apples, so I made apple crisp. No big deal. I used pink lady and gala.
Also- if you use oats, MAKE SURE they are LABELED gluten free, because if not, they are not!
My picture here is of an individual one I made later... the big one was consumed before people started asking me the recipe...
UPDATE: When I say 4-5 medium sized apples, that can be 8-9 small ones (I used granny smith once and they were small) - or just anywhere between 4-6 cups - loosely measured after slicing.

Gluten Free Apple Crisp


Filling version one:
4 -5 medium sized apples; peeled, cored, and cut into about 3" chunks
2 Tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 Tablespoon Almond Flour or nut flour

Stir until mixed. Cover and cook over low to medium heat until apples are soft, stirring occasionally (15-30 min depending).  The sauce will thicken.  Pour into a medium sized baking dish.  I used a 8" deep round pottery dish but you could use a rectangular baking dish easily.

Filling version two:
4 -5 medium sized apples; peeled, cored, and cut into about 3" chunks
3 Tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon stevia extract
2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1 Tablespoon Erythritol
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 Tablespoon Almond Flour or nut flour

Stir until mixed. Cover and cook over low to medium heat until apples are soft, stirring occasionally (15-30 min depending).  The sauce will thicken.  Pour into a medium sized baking dish.  I used a 8" deep round pottery dish but you could use a rectangular baking dish easily.

Topping:
3/4 cup nut flour or chopped nuts (I used almonds)
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
3/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/3 cup of gluten free oats OR 1/3 cup grated or flaked coconut
dash of salt

Mix dry ingredients together, and stir well.  Add melted butter and stir until clumpy. Layer on top of filling. You may want to crumble it with your hands.  Bake at 375˚ until top is browned and filling is bubbly about 35 minutes. Enjoy!!

We ate ours with an agave-sweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk ice cream called "Purely Decadent" , which was very good, but takes a long time to defrost, beware!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts