Low Carb Black and Green Chili


Hi Ya'll! It's been a while since I posted!! Moving was a real challenge. Some recipes I wrote right before I moved were just finally unearthed today as we put the last things away...
I have been getting creative with all the gorgeous CSA organic produce I am getting from my local farm. I was able to use a lot of my overabundance of swiss chard in this recipe, which came out so delicious. Now, this recipe has a LOT more ingredients than normal. That is because making a chili from scratch just takes more if you aren't using pre-packaged chili spice (ew). If you don't have all these, or it's not all exact, don't worry. Improvise! It will come out great, I have faith in you! Then comment and tell me all about it! I want to hear!!
So here we go... I'll be posting a lot more frequently now.. thanks for hanging in there and please drop me a note!!

FYI- even with the cayenne pepper and hot sauce, mine still came out only medium spicy so try just a dash even if you like it mild!

Low Carb Black and Green Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon organic lard, bacon grease, coconut or olive oil
3 – 4 large cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
1 ½ cups clean and dry chopped greens – swiss chard, beet greens, kale, etc
1 lb grass fed beef
¼ - ½ medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 – 2 Tablespoons chopped chives, optional
2 cans (~15 oz) organic black beans, rinsed and drained
14 oz can organic diced tomatoes (fire roasted is even better)
¼ cup salsa, red or green (I used tomatillo green salsa)
¼ teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoon cumin
2 Tablespoons sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 Tablespoons of chili powder
½ teaspoon thyme
3 teaspoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2-3 shakes hot sauce, or to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste (I used 12 turns on the grinder)
shredded cheddar cheese, optional
sour cream, optional

In a large saucepan on medium heat, cook down your onions and garlic in whatever fat you are using, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent. Add your greens and cook it until completely limp. Add green peppers, chives, and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, if desired. Stir for a few minutes, then add ground meat and make sure you break it up with a spoon or spatula. Cook until meat is cooked through. Add bean and tomatoes. Fill empty tomato can with water and add to pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on simmer for about an hour, stirring every once in a while so nothing sticks to bottom of pot.
Serve garnished with cheddar cheese or sour cream and chives, if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts